Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
Tech Support
Untitled Document
Facts about E-mail, Spam, and Viruses

Spam (unsolicited e-mail) is a serious problem. Our 75 faculty and staff receive over 1 million e-mail messages per year! Of those, only 15% were allowed through to their inboxes; the other 85% were rejected due to viruses, foul or spam specific language, known spam sender addresses, etc.

What causes email (including sometimes legitimate email) to be classified as spam?
  • E-mail without a subject – always include a subject in any e-mails that you send.
  • E-mail with subjects or body text that include common spam keywords and phrases including drug references, foul language, jokes, stock references, etc.
  • E-mail with multiple forwarding - it will show FW: FW: or RE: RE. (Note: if trying to forward a message you received that was forwarded from someone else, remove the FW or RE from in front of the e-mail subject on the subject line before sending.)

Sometimes legitimate e-mail gets blocked as Spam due to a variety of reasons (address, content, format, etc.).

If you receive an e-mail message indicating that a message you sent to a St. Francis faculty or staff e-mail address was blocked, please forward the blocked message to so that we can troubleshoot the problem. You can also send the original e-mail message to the same account and we will forward the message on to the appropriate faculty or staff member.
IT Department
Mr. Jeff Gerdeman '87
Director of Technology
Phone: x1119
 |  profile

Mr. Paul Johnson

Assistant Director of Technology
Phone: x1110
 |  profile

Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal